In a slightly strange move, Samsung has chosen to unveil a new phone that looks exactly like the Galaxy S II. There’s a good reason for that though, because this is in fact the Galaxy S II Plus; a minor spec-bumped variant of Samsung’s popular phone from 2011. Why in the world Samsung would rehash a nearly 2 year old phone is beyond me, but they've at least gone ahead and decided to update the software to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean. The update to Jelly Bean includes the Nature UX TouchWiz 4.0 from Samsung which seems to feature everything the Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note II feature, minus the pop-up video and multi-window features.
The only logical reasoning here is that Samsung will likely sell this phone internationally, unlocked of course, and bank on the lower-end markets buying it up in droves. Updated software can go a long way to making an older phone feel new again. Samsung’s rather feature-packed software makes for a pretty darn good phone too. I probably wouldn't expect to see this in the US other than maybe on a contract-free carrier as a cheaper phone….not that anyone reading this would likely want a Galaxy S II at this point anyway, Plus or not. The spec sheet is below -
- 4.3″ WVGA (480×800) Super AMOLED Plus
- Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean)
- 1.2 GHz Dual Core processor
- 1GB RAM
- 8MP rear camera, 2MP front-facing camera
- 8GB built-in memory, microSD support
- NFC: 125.3 x 66.1 x 8.9 mm, 121 g
- Non NFC: 125.3 x 66.1 x 8.5 mm, 121 g
No word on whether or not this means Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean will be hitting the regular Galaxy S II any sooner.
Seoul, Korea - January 10, 2013 - Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. announced today Samsung GALAXY S II Plus, which combines the performance that have made the GALAXY S II one of the world’s most recognized phones, together with nature-inspired user-interface and intuitive features that greatly boost its usability and functionality.
• The GALAXY S II Plus runs on Android™ 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) enabling faster and smoother screen transitions, and
providing an enhanced user interface featuring a new, easier-to-use notification panel. It is powered by an impressive
1.2 GHz dual core processor that enables easy multi-tasking, smooth screen transitions and superior graphics for
some of the most demanding applications and games.
• The GALAXY S II Plus’ nature-inspired user-interface is complemented with intuitive features that make the phone really easy to use. Direct Call enables users to automatically dial a call by taking the device to the ear. Smart Stay recognizes whether the user is looking at the screen to dim the screen accordingly; while Smart Alert lets users know about missed events or status updates just by picking up the phone.
• The GALAXY S II Plus also sports a range of additional features that boost performance and the overall experience in
entirely new ways. Popup Video allows a video to play anywhere on the screen in a resizable pop-up window while
simultaneously running other tasks, eliminating the need to close and restart videos when checking new emails or
surfing the Web. S Voice lets users control the phone using their voice; and Voice Unlock lets users unlock the phone
using their own voice.
• A 4.3” WVGA Super AMOLED Plus display offers a generous viewing experience and enables photos captured with the powerful 8MP camera to be enjoyed in true clarity.
• The rear camera features a zero-lag shutter speed that captures moving objects easily without delay. The innovative
‘Buddy photo share’ function also allows images to be easily and simultaneously shared with friends pictured in an
image directly from the camera or the photo gallery. Additional features include Group Facetag and Face Zoom to
deliver a complete photographic experience. The device is packed with the latest Samsung content services including
AllShare Play, which lets users share content across Samsung devices using a single account and password.
Users can also enjoy all the benefits of Samsung Hubs, including the latest versions of Readers Hub, Video Hub,
Game Hub and Music Hub.
Specifications of Samsung Galaxy S II Plus -
3G HSPA＋ 21.1Mbps,HSDPA 7.2Mbps,HSUPA 5.76Mbps 850/900/1900/2100 MHz
2G GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
1.2 GHz Dual Core processor
4.3" WVGA (480x800) Super AMOLED Plus
Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean)
Main(Rear): 8 Megapixel Camera with LED Flash
Sub(Front) : 2 Megapixel Camera
Buddy Photo Share, Group Facetag, Face Zoom
Codec: H.263,H.264,MPEG4,DviX,VC1(WMV9),WMV7,WMV8,Sorenson Spark,MP43, VP8
Full HD(1080p@30fps) Playback & Recording
Format: AAC (AAC/AAC＋/eAAC＋), MP3, OGG, 3GP, 3GA, MP4, M4A, AMR, AWB, FLAC,
WMA, WAV, MID, XMF, MXMF, RTTTL, RTX, OTA, IMY
FM Radio, RDS(Radio Data System), 3.5mm Ear Jack
Samsung Kies /Samsung Kies Air
- Readers Hub＊ (Downloadable via Samsung Apps) / Game Hub＊ / Music Hub＊ /
Samsung ChatOn mobile communication service
Samsung AllShare Play
Direct Call, Smart Stay, Smart Alert, Popup Video, S Voice, Voice Unlock, S Beam
Google Search, Gmail, YouTube, Google Talk, Google Plus,
Google Maps, Google Navigation, Google Latitude, Google Places,
Google Play Store, Google Play Books, Google Play Movies, Google Downloads
Bluetooth® v 3.0
WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4 ＋5GHz), WiFi Direct
Accelerometer, Geo-Magnetic, Light, Proximity, Gyro
8GB User memory ＋ 1GB (RAM)
microSD (up to 64GB)
NFC: 125.3 x 66.1 x 8.9 mm, 121 g
Non NFC: 125.3 x 66.1 x 8.5 mm, 121 g
Standard battery, Li-ion 1,650mAh
＊ The availability of each Samsung Hubs and Google services may differ by country.
＊ All functionality, features, specifications and other product information provided in this document including, but not limited to, the benefits, design, pricing, components, performance, availability, and capabilities of the product are subject to change without notice or obligation.
＊ Android, Google, Google Search, Gmail, YouTube, Google Talk, Google Plus, Google Maps, Google Navigation, Google Latitude, Google Places, Google Play Store, Google Play Books, Google Play Movies, Google Downloads are trademarks of Google Inc.
Via - Samsung Press