Sony's Next Generation SmartWatch Unveiled, Water Resistant and Supports One Touch NFC
The rumours were actually true, Sony has took the wraps of from their next generation Sony SmartWatch dubbed as Sony SmartWatch 2. This SmartWatch from Sony is the world's first smartwatch which is water-resistant and comes with One Touch NFC support. The SmartWatch 2 was launched today in Shanghai in Mobile Asia Expo 2013, where Sony showed the Sony Xperia Z Ultra, Sony Xperia C & TD-LTE Sony Xperia SP M35t.
The Sony SmartWatch 2 acts as a second screen for our Android smartphone, enhancing existing phone functionality and offers unique new benefits. According to Sony, the SmartWatch 2 will be available in markets worldwide by September 2013. Pricing details are not yet known, but is expected to be around $150-$200.
"Sony is the proud leader in the smartwatch market since introducing our first Bluetooth watch in 2007," says Stefan K Persson, Head of Companion Products at Sony Mobile Communications.
"Competitors are only now launching first generation devices, while we are already launching a 3rd generation device with all the insight gained from over half a million customers combined with Sony's wealth of technology expertise to create the best ever smartwatch experience.""The future of wearable devices is incredibly bright with analyst research predicting 41 million 'smart' watches will be sold by 2016," continues Persson. "We have over 200 unique apps dedicated for Sony SmartWatch with over one million downloads to date and we are continuing to work with our strong developer network to deliver ever more compelling smartwatch experiences."
Some useful features of this Sony SmartWatch are listed below,
- Handle your calls by a simple touch of your wrist
- Take a photo remotely from your SmartWatch, using a smart camera app
- Control your presentations remotely using Presentation Pal
- Taking a run or on the bike? Select a mapping app on SmartWatch to check your route with a quick glance at your wrist
- Read previously downloaded e-mails when not connected to your phone
- Use lifestyle apps like Runtastic to map and instantly track your fitness activities on the go
- Access notifications from your wrist such as messages, calls, email, Facebook/Twitter, Calendar
- Use it as a remote for your Walkman or other digital media player.
The specifications of Sony SmartWatch 2 can be found below,
- Sunlight readable
- Water-resistant (NOT suitable for showering, bathing, swimming, diving, snorkeling, water related work and fishing.)
- Works as an NFC watch with all smartphones using Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) and later
- Charging with micro USB
- User interface similar to Android UI
- 1.6-inch Transflective LCD Display with 220x176p resolution
- Weigh - 122.2 grams
- Dimensions - 42x9x41mm
- Aluminum & high polished plastic body with stainless steel wristband
- Bluetooth 3.0
- Battery -
- Low usage 7 days
- Normal usage, 3-4 days
- Watch always on