Android 4.4 KitKat update now rolling out to Sony Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1 Compact and Xperia Z Ultra
Sony has officially announced earlier this week that it has started rolling out the latest Android 4.4 KitKat update for some of its Xperia smartphones, which include Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1 Compact and Xperia Z Ultra. The update is rolling out over-the-air and the timing & availability may vary by market & carrier.
Sony has revealed that the update brings few performance tweaks along with a lot of under the hood improvements. Here's the official change log:
- Google’s Android 4.4 KitKat as standard – bringing performance & UI optimisation
- Tweaked Status Bar and Quick Settings – now more intuitive and customisable (and pretty easy on the eye) and cleaned up to ensure you only get the notifications you really need
- Sony PlayStation 4, new user interface – we’ve added the same sleek launch animation and livewallpaper across the lock and home screens
- Sony’s entire native app portfolio to the latest versions – bringing tweaked / improved / current experiences for (to name but a few): Messaging, MyXperia, Smart Connect, Small apps, TrackID, TrackID TV, Sony Select, Smart Social Camera and…
- Sony’s Media apps: WALKMAN, Album and Movies, with Sony Entertainment Network cloud service integration – a more converged and full Sony entertainment experience – Sony Entertainment Network & PlayMemories integration with a more intuitive UI, better download speeds, and more!
- Custom interface experience: “Xperia Themes”, with downloadable UI packs from Sony Select – skin up to 280 assets across your Xperia smartphone with a variety of styles, and more to follow soon
Sony has also confirmed in the press release that the Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia Tablet Z and Xperia ZR will receive the Android 4.4 KitKat update by mid-Q2 i.e., in May or June this year.
Not only that, Sony has also confirmed that the Xperia T2 Ultra, Xperia E1 and Xperia M2 will be updated to Android 4.4 KitKat, no exact time-frame revealed.
Source - Sony