Motorola starts rolling out Android 5.0 Lollipop update for Moto X (2nd Gen) Pure Edition and Moto G (2nd Gen)
Motorola is pretty swift in rolling out the Android updates to its offerings and the same was evident with the Android 4.4.4 KitKat update. Now, it appears like the vendor has surpassed Google by being the pioneer to rollout the Android 5.0 Lollipop update for Moto X (2nd Gen) Pure Edition and Moto G (2nd Gen) US GSM and Global GSM versions.
A soak test aka closed beta for select users of the second-gen Moto X Pure Edition and Moto G was rolled out recently. The soak test was for a limited time and this is the full official release of Android 5.0 Lollipop on these devices.
The update is rolling out over-the-air (OTA) and as always it's going in batches, so it might take sometime to reach on your smartphone. With Lollipop update rolling out for these new Moto devices, the Lenovo-owned Motorola has managed to beat the update for Nexus and Google Play Edition devices.
There is no word on when the carrier-customized version of 2nd Gen Moto X will be getting the update, but it won't take too long.
Motorola has also announced that it will be rolling out the Android 5.0 update for several other devices including original Moto X, Moto G, Moto G 4G LTE, Moto E, Droid Ultra, Droid Maxx, Droid Mini and newly launched Droid Turbo soon, exact time-frame is not yet disclosed.
Android 5.0 Lollipop brings a number of tasty enhancements, including:
- A new look and feel. Google brings its all-new Material Design to life with a bold, new visual style. The new user interface is designed to enable better, more natural touch screen interactions and introduces vivid new colors, typography, and edge-to-edge imagery to make using your phone more fluid.
- Your device, your rules. Catch up with notifications on your lock screen and even dismiss them without unlocking. New "Downtime" and "Interruption" settings also allow you to decide what people and what notifications get through at times that you choose.
- Share your device. You know that moment when your kid plays with your phone or a friend needs to borrow it? Use "Guest" mode or another account you’ve set up to share your device. You can also pin a view to limit the user to a particular application.
- Let there be light. Shine a light by using the new flashlight in Quick Settings. Just swipe down with two fingers from the status bar to see it.
- Battery saver. The Battery settings panel now shows an estimated projection for how much time you have left even while you're charging. You can also enable a new battery saver mode that will save power by reducing performance and most background data operations to extend your battery life.